Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Bandwidth Hog at a low bandwidth site with a little help from the "Bandwidth" Command



                   We have a remote site that has not yet been moved to our fiber transport ring, so it is on an aggregated (3) T1s link to the rest of our network. It is a small site with less than a handful of users, who only use the network to do their time cards, so 4.5Mb is fine for them normally, but the other day we receive notice, from our service provider, that the link has been saturated 24/7 since the beginning of the year. One thing about these aggregated WAN links is that the service provider handles the aggregation and passes you the combine link as an Ethernet link. 
      So what's the issue? 
How do I track down the big talker, if all it takes is 4.5 Mb to saturate the WAN link? 

          I ran a “sh int | i  /255” command to identify any ports that have high rxload or txload rates, BUT, because they are 10/100/1000 ports all their reading were 1/255. So I used the range command to set the bandwidth label on each interface, and  voilà, port 1/0/1 was receiving at 106/255 and port 1/0/48 (the up-link to the router) was transmitting at 06/255. I ‘m no rocket scientist, (but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night) but the traffic coming in on port 1/0/1 was leaving on port 1/0/48.


I found my big talker.

No comments:

Post a Comment